Soldier piles are construction systems, which consist of piles (vertical beams), combined with coating (most commonly wood). Soldier piles are constructed as follows:
- Construction of piles at equal intervals (usually 1m);
- Narrow excavation works and installation of coating;
- If necessary – back filling and compaction of the soil behind the coating.
- Economically feasible. The soldier piles are one of the cheapest supporting solutions, compared to other construction systems;
- Fast construction;
- Flexibility when building – possible changes along the construction process;
- The construction technology is not complex;
- Possibility for combination with spry concrete;
- Possibility for combination with anchors.
- Most commonly used as temporary constructions;
- Can’t be used in highly saturated soils without preliminary draining of the construction site;
- Low stiffness characteristics, compared to other support systems;